The City of Newport News wants to remind citizens of the City ordinances governing the use of mopeds and motorized scooters
With springtime nearing and residents anxious to spend more time outside, the City of Newport News wants to remind citizens of the City ordinances governing the use of mopeds and motorized scooters. These ordinances can be found in chapter 10 of the Newport News City Code and the following list highlights some of the components of that chapter.
* No one under the age of 16 years is permitted to operate a moped or motorized scooter.
* A protective helmet must be worn when operating a moped or motorized scooter.
* A license is not needed to operate mopeds or motorized scooters and there is no registration requirement.
* No one other than the driver is allowed on a motorized scooter and mopeds can only have one person per seat.
* Those operating a moped or motorized scooter must obey all traffic laws and signs/signals.
* Motorized scooters can not be operated on a roadway with a posted speed limit of more than 25 mph.
* Mopeds can not be operated in excess of 30 miles per hour or the posted speed limit whichever is less.
* Do not hold on to any moving vehicle and do not tow anything while driving a moped or motorized scooter.
* Mopeds and motorized scooters are not allowed on sidewalks.
For more information, on the various motorcycle scooters and accessories see electric moped.
Edward Okada contributes and publishes news editorial to http://www.the-scooters-report.com.
Find all kinds of mopeds, electric, gas and motorized scooters online, plus parts and accessories.